Distinguished Teaching Awards
The Distinguished Teaching Awards recognize and encourage meritorious performance in undergraduate and graduate teaching in agricultural or applied economics as defined by the AAEA vision statement. These award winners will demonstrate to have outstanding ability and performance as a full-time professional teacher of agricultural or applied economics as defined by the AAEA Vision Statement. Each year, one award for each of the following categories is given:
- Less than ten years’ undergraduate and/or graduate teaching experience
- Ten or more years’ undergraduate teaching
- Ten or more years’ graduate teaching
Nominations are due on February 7, 2020.
- Nominators and Nominees must be 2020 members of AAEA.
- Re-nominations are encouraged, provided materials are updated and resubmitted. If a nominee has previously won a Distinguished Teaching Award, the selection is based on activities subsequent to the previous award.
- Nominees must be actively engaged in teaching at a professional level during the 2019-2020 school year.
To nominate, fill out the online Distinguished Teaching Award Nomination Form below. The form will ask you to upload one PDF file containing all the Award Nomination Materials in the order listed below.
□ Nomination Letter
- Maximum of 3 single-spaced pages
- It will be the centerpiece for evaluation and should contain a concise statement summarizing reasons why the nominee is worthy of the award. The letter of nomination should have itemized descriptions (each separated by subsection) of how the nominee meets/excels the five criteria as listed in the evaluation section (see “Evaluation”).
□ Biography of the nominee emphasizing current and past teaching achievements
- Maximum of 2 single-spaced pages
□ Statement of teaching philosophy by the nominee
- Maximum of 1 single-spaced page
□ (Optional) Appendix devoted to evaluation of teaching quality
- Maximum of 5 single-spaced pages
□ (Optional) Supporting materials
- Limited to three items (publications, videos, computer programs, etc.) of the nominee's best examples of quality work
- Electronic format is preferred
- If materials must be submitted in hard copy form, seven copies should be sent to the AAEA Business Office at 555 E. Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The following five major areas are considered in evaluating nominations:
- Quality of teaching
- Academic advising, counseling, extracurricular activities, and career support with students
- Campus participation in instructional, course, and curricular improvement efforts
- Professional development leading to improvement in teaching for benefit of self and peers
- Department/college/university teaching awards and other teaching related recognitions at national/international level
It is required that nomination packets explicitly address all 5 review areas.
Nomination Form Link: https://form.jotform.com/42544551714150
If you have any questions about your nomination, or the nomination process,
please contact Samantha Bilgrien at email@example.com or (414) 918-3190.