Bruce L. Gardner Special Purpose Fund
Each year, the Bruce Gardner Memorial Prize for Applied Policy Analysis Award recognizes outstanding impact on agricultural and related policy, based on sound foundations in economic theory, in the tradition of Bruce Gardner. Funding for the award is provided by the Bruce L. Gardner Special Purpose Fund.
You can donate to the Gardner fund using the Trust donation form.
Dr. Gardner was a Distinguished University Professor of Agricultural and Resource Economics at the University of Maryland, College Park, as well as a Fellow and former President of the AAEA. He helped shape U.S. farm policy over four decades, but especially substantively in two presidential administrations with the Council of Economic Advisers and as Assistant Secretary of Agriculture for Economics. Additionally, Dr. Gardner was very involved in agricultural policy reforms in many developing countries through his work with the World Bank, USAID, and other groups.
Gardner Memorial Prize Recipients
- 2017: "Farm Input Subsidy Programs in Sub-Saharan Africa” William J. Burke, Eric Crawford, Thomas Jayne (Team Leader), Saweda Liverpool-Tasie, Nicole Mason, David Mather, Michigan State University; Joshua Ariga, International Fertilizer Development Centre; Jacob Ricker-Gilbert, Purdue University; Shahid Rashid, International Food Policy Research Institute; and Charles Jumbe, Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- 2016: "Benefit-Cost Analysis of the Yakima Basin Integrated Plan Projects” Jonathan Yoder, Washington State University, the State of Washington Water Research Center; Jennifer Adam, Washington State University; Michael Brady, Washington State University; Joseph Cook, University of Washington; Stephen Katz, Washington State University; Daniel Brent, Louisiana State University; Shane Johnston, University of Washington; Keyvan Malek, Washington State University; John McMillan, McMillan Biological Consulting and Media; Qingqing Yang, Washington State University
- 2015: Bruce Babcock & Sebastian Pouliot, Iowa State University
- 2014: Keith Fuglie, USDA-Economic Research Service
- 2013: William Masters, Tufts University
- 2012: Joseph Herriges, Catherine Kling, Daniel Otto, and John Downing, Iowa State University; Kevin Egan, University of Toledo
- 2011: Craig Jagger, U.S. House of Representatives, Committee on Agriculture
- 2010: Kym Anderson, University of Adelaide
- 2009: Bruce A. McCarl, Texas A&M University
Submitting a Nomination
Nominations for the Gardner Memorial Prize are accepted as part of the AAEA Annual Awards call. Nominations are usually due during the first week in February.