COVID-19 Impacts on Agricultural Economic Issues
CAST commentary featuring AAEA members publically released
The Agricultural & Applied Economics Association (AAEA) along with the Council for Agricultural Science and Technology (CAST) partnered to release Economic Impacts of COVID-19 on Food and Agricultural Markets, a CAST Commentary surrounding COVID-19 and how it is challenging the agricultural community.
AAEA President, Keith Coble from Mississippi State University says, “COVID-19 has created unique and unprecedented challenges to our food systems. AAEA always aspires to provide timely and relevant analysis. We are proud to collaborate with CAST on this important project.”
Topics covered span macroeconomics; trade; supply chain; consumer behavior; food service/grocery; meat processing; forestry and wood products; local food systems; food waste; food insecurity; major commodity crops; agriculutral finance; agricultural labor; rural health care; and research and outreach priorities.
The commentary is authored by agricultural economic researchers from institutions around the country.
- Jayson Lusk (Chair), Purdue University, AAEA Past President
- John D. Anderson (Chair), University of Arkansas
- Diane Charlton, Montana State University
- Keith Coble, Mississippi State University and AAEA President
- Alison Davis, University of Kentucky
- Adam Dewey, Feeding America
- Jeffrey H. Dorfman, University of Georgia
- Brenna Ellison, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Emily Engelhard, Feeding America
- Allen M. Featherstone, Kansas State University
- Jason Grant, Virginia Tech
- Craig Gundersen, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Ananth Iyer, Purdue University
- Monica Hake, Feeding America
- Todd Hubbs, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Scott Irwin, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Sarah A. Low, University of Missouri
- Josh Maples, Mississippi State University
- Jill J. McCluskey, Washington State University, AAEA Past President
- Brandon McFadden, University of Delaware
- Rodolfo M. Nayga, Jr., University of Arkansas
- Timothy J. Richards, Arizona State University
- Bradley J. Rickard, Cornell University
- Lee Schulz, Iowa State University
- Ian Sheldon, The Ohio State University
- Shaun M. Tanger, Mississippi State University
- Glynn Tonsor, Kansas State University
- Norbert Wilson, Tufts University
- David Zilberman, University of California, Berkeley, AAEA Past President
The commentary, Economic Impacts of COVID-19 on Food and Agricultural Markets, is available to download for free on CAST’s website.
About CAST: Formed in 1972, the Council for Agricultural Science and Technology (CAST) is a nonprofit organization with a membership composed of scientific and professional societies, universities, companies, nonprofits, libraries, and individuals. Through its network of experts, CAST assembles, interprets, and communicates credible, balanced, science-based information to policymakers, the media, the private sector, and the public. CAST publications and other resources focus on enhancing the understanding of the science, technology, and innovation critical to food and modern agriculture. To learn more about CAST, or access any of our free publications, please visit www.cast-science.org.
ABOUT AAEA: Established in 1910, the Agricultural & Applied Economics Association (AAEA) is the leading professional association for agricultural and applied economists, with 2,500 members in more than 60 countries. Members of the AAEA work in academic or government institutions as well as in industry and not-for-profit organizations, and engage in a variety of research, teaching, and outreach activities in the areas of agriculture, the environment, food, health, and international development. The AAEA publishes two journals, the American Journal of Agricultural Economics and Applied Economic Perspectives & Policy, as well as the online magazine Choices and the online open access publication series Applied Economics Teaching Resources. To learn more, visit www.aaea.org.
Contact: Allison Scheetz
Senior Communications Manager