Agricultural Market Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic
AAEA members featured in articles for a new Choices theme
In a new theme of articles featured in Choices Magazine, a collection of seven article evaluate the main short-term impacts of the COVID-19 epidemic for key food and agricultural markets and discuss potential longer-term implications. Topics examined include farm income, federal pandemic payments to producers, fruit and vegetables, dairy, livestock, consumer expenditures, and trade.
Articles in this Theme:
- Estimates of Farm Income and the Outlook for Program Crops and Livestock, Pre- and Post-COVID-19
Seth Meyer and Patrick Westhoff
- Agricultural and Food Policy Response to COVID-19
Ashley Hungerford, Anne Effland, and Robert Johansson
- Impact of COVID-19 and the Lockdowns on Labor-Intensive Produce Markets, with Implication for Hired Farm Labor
Daniel A. Sumner
- The Impact of COVID-19 on United States Meat and Livestock Markets
Joseph V. Balagtas and Joseph Cooper
- COVID-19 and the U.S. Dairy Supply Chain
Christopher A. Wolf, Andrew M. Novakovic, and Mark W. Stephenson
- Has COVID-19 Caused a Great Trade Collapse? An Initial Ex Post Assessment
Shawn Arita, Jason Grant, and Sharon Sydow
- Consumer Food Buying during a Recession
Jayson L. Lusk and Brandon R. McFadden
If you are interested in setting up an interview with any of the authors, please contact Allison Ware in the AAEA Business Office.
ABOUT AAEA: Established in 1910, the Agricultural & Applied Economics Association (AAEA) is the leading professional association for agricultural and applied economists, with 2,500 members in more than 60 countries. Members of the AAEA work in academic or government institutions as well as in industry and not-for-profit organizations, and engage in a variety of research, teaching, and outreach activities in the areas of agriculture, the environment, food, health, and international development. The AAEA publishes two journals, the American Journal of Agricultural Economics and Applied Economic Perspectives & Policy, as well as the online magazine Choices and the online open access publication series Applied Economics Teaching Resources. To learn more, visit www.aaea.org.
Contact: Allison Ware
Senior Communications Manager