D. Gale Johnson
Dr. Johnson's career began at Iowa State University, where he earned both his bachelor's and doctoral degrees. The University of Wisconsin awarded Dr. Johnson his master's degree, and he added two years to his graduate instruction and research at the University of Chicago before returning to Iowa State as a professor in 1941. In 1944 he returned to the University of Chicago as a member of the faculty in the Department of Economics, serving as associate dean of the Division of the Social Sciences from 1957 to 1960 and then as dean of that division. A vast array of governmental organizations benefited from Dr. Johnson's insights, including the Department of State (1946), the Department of the Army (1948), the Tennessee Valley Authority (1950-1955), the President's Task Force on Foreign Economic Assistance (1961) and the President's Committee to Appraise Employment and Unemployment Statistics (1962).
Dr. Johnson was president of the American Farm Economics Association in 1965 and was named a fellow of the AAEA in 1967.