Chester O. McCorkle, Jr. Special Purpose Fund
Call for Applications
You can learn more about submitting an application for the McCorkle Scholarship in the call for applications. Applications are due in early October for the following year's scholarships.
Chester O. McCorkle, Jr. Special Purpose Fund supports applied research by a graduate student on economic issues relating to agriculture.
You can donate to the McCorkle fund using the Trust donation form.
Chester O. McCorkle, Jr.
Dr. McCorkle received his B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of California Berkeley, the latter in 1952. He was on the faculty of the Department of Agricultural Economics at the University of California Davis from 1952-1990, where he is currently Professor Emeritus. During his tenure at UC Davis he also served in administration. From 1964-69 he was Vice-Chancellor and from 1969-70 Dean of the College of Agriculture. From 1970-78 he served as Vice President of the University of California (systemwide).
In addition to his service to the AAEA, Dr. McCorkle was President of the Western Agricultural Economics Association from 1965-66, a member of the American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers, and Secretary-Treasurer of the California Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers from 1955-56. He was Chairman of the Board on Agriculture and Renewable Resources of the National Academy of Science’s Commission on Natural Resources from 1977-80, serving as Vice-Chair from 1980-81. He authored 3 books and over 100 scientific and technical articles and numerous consulting and popular reports. His research spanned the scope of agricultural and resource economics from the economics of water, agricultural business organization and management, to the economics of food processing. In 1989 he co-founded (with Wells Fargo Bank) the California Agribusiness Executive Seminar targeting top California agribusiness executives. This high level educational program continues to have a strong following today.
McCorkle Scholarship Recipients
2016: Jongwook Lee, University of Minnesota
2016: Chinoso Etumnu, University of San Francisco
The past winners of the McCorkle Scholarship and the areas of research funded by the scholarship are listed below.
- 2015: Andrew Stevens, University of California, Berkeley
- 2014: Jonathan McFadden, Iowa State University, Midwest Corn Yields and Dynamic Bayesian Models
- 2013: Mariko Wijekoon, Clark University, The Demand for Food and Calories in Sri Lanka
- 2012: David L. Ortega, Purdue University, An Economic Study of U.S. Food Safety Issues from Imported Chinese Food Products
- 2011: John Roberts, University of Maryland, Agricultural Commodity Prices and Futures Markets
- 2010: Brian Dillion, Cornell University, Small-scale Farming in the Tanzanian Cotton Market
- 2009: Feng Song, Michigan State University, The Prospective Appeal of Converting to Dedicated
- 2008: Sudha Narayanan, Cornell University, Implications Associated with the Rise of Contract Farming, Especially for Poor Producers and Consumers
- 2007: Hope Michelson, Cornell University, The Welfare Effects over Time of a Local and International Marketing Revolution on Nicaraguan Small Farmer Operations
- 2006: Andrea Woolverton, University of Missouri, The Impacts of Government Farm Programs on the Effectiveness and Usage of Futures Markets by Agricultural Producers in South Africa
- 2005: Caroline Gunning-Trant, University of California, Davis, Effects of NAFTA Agricultural Trade Disputes:
Antidumping, Countervail and Trade Diversion