2017 GSS Section Annual Meeting Activities
Sunday, July 30
- 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM - Graduate Student Extension Competition - Great America I & II
- 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM - AEM/GSS Case Study Competition - Illinois, Lincolnshire I & Lincolnshire II
Monday, July 31
- 1:30 PM - 4:00 PM - AEM/GSS Case Study Finals - O'Hare & Huron
- 2:45 PM - 4:15 PM - Teaching Tips from AAEA Winners (Joint with TLC) - Dupage
Tuesday, August 1
- 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM - Expectations and Realities of Securing a Job and Tenure: A Blended Perspective (Joint with FSN) - Chicago Ballroom B
- 1:15 PM - 2:45 PM - Graduate Student Extension Competition Winners (Joint with EXT) - Cook
- 3:00 PM - 4:30 PM - Experiments in Applied and Agricultural Economics - Featuring Tomorrow's Researchers (Joint with EXECON) - Chicago Ballroom B
- 4:45 PM - 6:15 PM - A Toolbox for Early-Career and Future Extension Educators (Joint with EXT) - Chicago Ballroom C
During the AAEA Annual Meetings several events take place that are similar from year to year. The most common events can be found below.
Each year the AAEA has a set of Pre-conference Workshops that are beneficial to graduate students. Occasionally some Pre-conference Workshops offer travel grants for graduate students.
The Employment Center is the perfect opportunity for employers with open positions and job seekers to connect at the annual meeting. Employers can schedule interviews with recent master's and doctoral graduates and individuals already in the workforce. The center attracts numerous universities, government agencies and industry employers who are looking for quality candidates in the agricultural economics field.
Case Study Competition
The AEM/GSS Case Study Competition allows graduate students to test their communication skills and their ability to apply their knowledge of agricultural economics and agribusiness subjects to practical situations. Prizes are awarded to the first, second, and third place teams. For more information about the rules and format of the competition, please check out the Case Study Competition page. You can also find previous years' case study competition winners and their presentations on the Case Study Competition page.
Student Extension Competition
The AAEA-GSS Student Extension Competition is sponsored jointly by the Extension Section and the Graduate Student Section and provides graduate students and 2012 or later graduates the opportunity to develop extension and outreach programs from their research. Cash awards will be given to the top three competitors. For more information please visit the Graduate Student Extension Competition page of the Extension Section website. The first place will be awarded with $1000 and a plaque.
The GSS arranges a number of track session presentations at the AAEA Annual Meeting each year. These sessions are targeted toward graduate students and cover topics such as how to successfully get your first job, how to cope the interview process, or how to get published. See the archive page for presentations from previous years' meetings.
Each year the AAEA Trust seeks applicants for Early Career Professional and Graduate Student Travel Grants. These grants are to defray housing and transportation costs associated with attending the AAEA Annual Meeting.
Students in an agricultural or applied economics graduate program at a U.S. college or university are eligible. Applications should be forwarded through the institution's department head, with a limit of two applications per institution. Applications are generally due at the end of April and ask for general information, a proposed budget, and the student's plans for the upcoming meetings.